Welcome to “Ghostly Games”: Jeopardy! Each month throughout 2012, we will feature three categories that will test your knowledge of the strange and unusual in Illinois, or of the paranormal generally. Play along at home and remember to phrase your answers in the form of a question! Answers will be shown at the bottom of next month’s categories.
- 100 – In 1973, this man began the first supernatural-themed bus tour in Chicago.
- 200 – A curse said to afflict the Peoria Public Library is blamed on this elderly woman.
- 300 – This man formed the “Ghost Trackers Club,” later known as the Ghost Research Society, in 1977.
- 100 – Visited by the Ghost Adventures crew in the summer of 2011, this former almshouse is also a popular haunted attraction.
- 200 – The attic of this former plantation home outside of Equality, Illinois is rumored to be haunted by the ghosts of slaves.
- 300 – The apartments above this Chicago pub formerly held a brothel, and Egyptian iconography is painted on its basement ceiling.
Movies & Film
- 100 – This 1978 horror film was set in the fictional town of Haddonfield, Illinois.
- 200 – Set in a working-class neighborhood in Chicago, this supernatural thriller starred Kevin Bacon.
- 300 – Based on a novel by Douglas Preston, this 1997 science fiction/horror film centered on the Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
Answers to last month’s categories:
Famous Ghosts: What is the Greenwood Ghost Bride, What is the Hatchet Lady, What is the Pointing Ghost of 23rd Avenue
Music: What is “Resurrection Mary,” What is “The Dying Miner,” Who is “Witch Beulah”
Mysterious Creatures: What are black panthers, What is the Murphysboro Mud Monster, What is the Lake Michigan Monster