Welcome to “Ghostly Games”: Jeopardy! Each month throughout 2012, we will feature three categories that will test your knowledge of the strange and unusual in Illinois, or of the paranormal generally. Play along at home and remember to phrase your answers in the form of a question! Answers will be shown at the bottom of next month’s categories.
- 100 – This all-female dormitory is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of its former matron, Mary Hawkins.
- 200 – This central Illinois hill shares the name of a ghost town and is home to a variety of strange phenomenon.
- 300 – “Hartford Castle” is the colloquial name for this mansion that now lies in ruins across the Mississippi River from St. Louis.
- 100 – These two sisters disappeared on their way home from an Elvis Presley movie in the winter of 1957, only to be found along the side of German Church Road.
- 200 – Clarence Darrow defended these two wealthy young men who sought to get away with the “perfect crime.”
- 300 – This killing spree was named after the interstate along which it took place.
- 100 – This teary-eyed specter was captured on film at southwest suburban Chicago’s most infamous graveyard.
- 200 – This unfortunate phantom searches a Marshall County cemetery for her missing appendage.
- 300 – The ghost of this monk still watches over his students at one Catholic academy in the Illinois Valley.
Answers to last month’s categories:
Tragic Disasters: What is Woodlawn Cemetery, What is the Iroquois Theater, What is the 1909 Cherry Mine Disaster
Creepy Quotes: Who is Socrates, Who is Helen Keller, Who is Lord Byron
Mysterious Creatures: What is the Gooseville Bear, What is the Forest City Monster, What is the Stump Pond Serpent