Disturbing Encounters at the Villisca Ax Murder House

Chasing Shadows by Larry WilsonFrom Chasing Shadows by Larry Wilson.

I have investigated the Villisca House on four separate occasions, with my first visit in June of 2008 and the last on October 10, 2010. It was during my third visit that I witnessed the most incredible thing that I have ever seen since becoming a paranormal investigator. I will describe that event later in the chapter.

The investigation that changed my approach to the paranormal (not to mention my outlook on life) occurred in September 2008. Paul Robinson, a paranormal investigator and film producer from Columbia, Missouri, Sharon Wright, a model/actress from Kansas City, Missouri, and I traveled to Villisca to film a documentary on the Villisca Ax Murder House. The owner, Darwin Linn, agreed to allow us to film there on September 8th and 9th free of charge. This was Paul and Sharon’s first trip to the Villisca House. Paul is an experienced investigator, but this was Sharon’s first experience with the paranormal.

With a couple of exceptions, our personal paranormal experiences were very limited during the investigation of the night of September 8th. At around 10:30pm, I was in the parlor and walked past a door that leads to the front porch of the house. The door was locked from the inside and there was also a screen door that was locked with a padlock on the outside, so both doors were locked and secured. As I walked past the door to look at a picture of the family on the wall, the door violently rattled and shook as if someone took their foot and tried to kick it open.

I was a good 18 inches away from the door, with Sharon following close behind. Needless to say, it startled both of us. The floor was old and wooden, so in an attempt to recreate the violent shaking of the door, I stomped as hard as I could, but nothing happened. The door did not budge. I also pulled hard on the door handle and I could barely make the door rattle. Whatever caused the door to violently shake could not be recreated.

The next unusual thing that happened took place while we were in the downstairs bedroom, which was called the blue room. It was called the “blue room” simply because it was painted blue. This was the room where Ina and Lena Stillinger were murdered. All three of us were in the room. I was using brass rods and checking to see if there were any spots of EMF activity. As I walked into the bedroom with the rods, I followed the wall to my left and walked to the far corner of the room. At that point, the rod in my left hand started to spin in a counter clockwise direction. The rod in my right hand then started to spin in a clockwise direction.

The rods were spinning so fast that I had to grip them tighter so as not to lose control of them! While this was going on, I had the sensation of an electrical charge shooting up both of my legs. As mentioned earlier, Darwin Linn removed all of the utilities in the home to put it back to the original state, so there was not any electricity in the house. Paul also held the rods and they reacted for him as well. Sharon was too spooked by their unexplained spinning to do the same!

We stayed the night, completed our investigation, and then left the house at about 4:30am. We returned the following day to finish filming the documentary, and since we had all the footage needed to complete our project, we did not stay the night of September 9th.

It was not until I returned home and reviewed my audio that I realized all the activity that had been going on right under our noses. I recorded no less than 12 EVPs, of which a few were somewhat disturbing. In one EVP, a cynical laugh and heavy breathing can be heard. In another, I could hear what can best be described as growling… but growling in syllables.

By using audio enhancing software called Audacity, I was able to enhance the EVP by altering the tone, pitch, and speed of the audio clip. What was “growled” turned out to be two different voices. First, the voice of what sounds like a child saying, “Help Me!” can be heard, then a second voice also says, “Help Me,” but in a mocking tone. Immediately after the second “Help Me,” you hear a voice clearly say, “Satan Wins!”

The frightening thing about this is that I had recorded this clip soon after we arrived at the house. Paul and Sharon were going to film some of the narrative voiceover outside. Owner Darwin Linn was outside talking to us, when I told the group that I was going to head on inside to look around and set up a couple of digital recorders and let them record for a couple of hours while no one was in the house.

Soon after I went inside, I went upstairs and was in the room where the four Moore children were murdered. As I was looking around, I heard someone walking around downstairs. I could hear Paul and Sharon’s voices outside, so I knew that they were not in the house. I figured that it must be the owner that was inside, so I yelled downstairs, “Hey, Darwin is that you?” No answer! I yelled again, “Hey, Darwin,” and again, there was no answer…

Copyright 2014 Black Oak Media, Inc. You do not have permission to copy this post.


  1. paragirlproductions1 says:

    All though I am a paranormal investigator, I would never think about visiting that place, not because of it’s spooky history but simply for the fact that the spirits are being used as an entertainment, I just wish somehow someone can set them free xx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: